Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter 9 - Internet in Schools


I will be basing the information for this post from Carol Simpson's Copyright for Schools. If you are interested in learning more about this topic, please feel free to read Chapter 9.

What guidelines affect Internet?
This section of the chapter was particularly interesting to me. Throughout my research I found that copyright and how it relates to the Internet categorized as an issue that is unresolved. I kept asking myself, "Well, how can it be unresolved? Either there are guidelines that exist or they don't exist." Chapter 9 of Simpson's text provides the best answer regarding this issue.

"Unlike print works, music, audiovisuals, multimedia, computer software, and distance learning, there are no set copyright guidelines for the Internet. Partly because the Internet is composed of print, music, audiovisuals, multimedia, and computer software, none of the established guidelines fit perfectly, but ALL of the established guidelines may apply to some extent." (Simpson, 2005, p. 124)

With this in mind, the text suggests that one must always revert back to the four standard tests of fair use to figure out whether or not information taken from the Internet is fair. In addition, every creator of materials available on the Internet have five rights: reproduction, distribution, adaptation, public performance, and public display. In other words, this would include any scanned photos, e-mails, written documents, recording of voice on a digital file, etc. Simply put, notice of copyright is not required in order to have such types of items protected under copyright.

Special considerations for different Internet services
Perhaps the most surprising bit of information that I have learned thus far was found in regard to E-mail.

"The author of an e-mail message owns the content of that message. You, as the recipient, may not make copies of that message, or distribute it without the consent of the original author. This impacts messages you may forward to third parties without the express consent of the original author." (Simpson, 2005, 126)

Think about all the e-mails that are forwarded to administrators, guidance counselors, other teachers, or to parents/guardians in educational environments. Express your thoughts here regarding the issue of "fair use" and e-mail.


Source:
Simpson, C. (2005). Copyright for schools: A practical guide. Worthington, OH: Linworth Publishing.

3 comments:

jt's clarion cohort said...

I never realized that a policy with regard to emails existed until recently. I cannot tell you how many times I have forwarded emails to others, but I'll be more careful now for sure.
As an added note...I love Jodi Picoult also, and I have read many of her books. Janet

LibraryGirl said...

Wow, I'm a little in shock about emails being protected. People (myself included) forward emails all the time - I wonder if a copyright notice needs to be put at the bottom of 'important' emails or on emails that you don't want forwarded. Thanks for your research.

LeeAnn said...

I had no idea that e-mails were protected. Very interesting. I am sure that many people that work in a school setting do not know this either. I wonder if it would make a bit of difference if they did know? hmmm. I doubt it.