Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Internet and Copyright

Greetings!
The contents of this blog will focus on copyright and how it pertains to the Internet, especially in the school setting. In addition, I will also be posting information about CIPA (Children's Internet Protection Act). With that in mind, please check back often to gain valuable information about this "hot topic."

Think about the following...

I recently had to do a PowerPoint presentation on Thailand for one of my ESL courses. The PowerPoint needed to reflect different aspects of Thai culture. While working on this project, I often went to Google and typed in a search phrase and clicked on "Images" to find pictures that corresponded with the category. Here is one of the pictures that I found relating to Thai weddings:


www.weddings.in.th/images/wedding-couple.jpg

I was able to move my mouse over the picture and right click to "copy" it. Then I went to my PowerPoint and "pasted" it to my presentation. Now, with this in mind, did I violate copyright or was the image available for my use since it was located on the World Wide Web? Post your thoughts here.

4 comments:

J. Urick said...

I think you did violate copyright laws; however, I think you could cite the picture in your powerpoint presentation.

Unknown said...

I don't know what the laws are exactly, but I agree with j. urick that no matter what the situation, when using an image found online, it is always best to cite its source, just to be on the safe side. When I needed to make a powerpoint about FDR for one of my graduate courses, I made sure to cite the source underneath each picture I used, so that I covered my bases, regardless of what the existing laws may be.

LeeAnn said...

I am almost sure that you violated a copyright law. If you cited the site where you "borrowed" the pic from...does that still count?

Jamie A. Lewis said...

Most images are not labeled "free" or public domain. So, with that in mind, even though one may cite the picture in a presentation, he or she may be violating copyright due to the fact that the picture is not deemed "public domain."